Maplewood, NJ Amends Property Registration OrdinanceApril 25, 2023
The township of Maplewood, N.J. has amended its property registration requirement to reflect an annual renewal timeframe (previously semi-annual). The program will require a $500.00 annual registration fee.
Property Registration Ordinance
TOWNSHIP OF MAPLEWOOD
AN ORDINANCE TO AMEND ORDINANCE #2891-18 WITH REGARD TO VACANT, ABANDONED PROPERTY AND PROPERTIES IN FORECLOSURE
This ordinance will require that vacant, abandoned property, and properties in foreclosure be registered with the Township in order to insure that such properties do not fall into disrepair further permit the registration of defaulted, abandoned and vacant properties in the Township of Maplewood.
Registration required; period of validity; general regulations.
A. The owner of any Registrable Property as defined herein shall, within ten (10) days after the building becomes Registrable Property or within ten (10) days after assuming ownership of the Registrable Property, or within 10 calendar days after receipt of notice from the Township, file a registration statement for each such Registrable Property with the Building Department on forms provided by the Township or designee for such purposes.
C. The registration Real Property that is subject to a mortgage in foreclosure shall remain valid for twelve months from the date of registration. The Mortgagee shall be required to renew the registration every twelve months as long as the building remains Registrable Property and shall pay a registration or renewal fee in the amount prescribed herein for each Registrable Property registered. Upon a change of ownership, a registration statement must be updated within ten (10) days of closing.
B. At the time of initial registration, each Mortgagee of Real Property that is subject to a mortgage in foreclosure shall pay a non-refundable Annual Registration fee of five hundred dollars ($500.00) for each Registrable Property. Subsequent Annual Registrations of Registrable Properties and fees in the amount of five hundred dollars ($500.00) are due within ten (10) days of the expiration of the previous registration.
Property Registration Ordinance
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING CODE OF THE BOROUGH OF BELLMAWR TO BE ENTITLED "VACANT AND ABANDONED PROPERTIES: NOTICE, REGISTRATION AND FEE," PROVIDING FOR PURPOSE, INTENT AND APPLICABILITY OF THE ORDINANCE REQUIRING THE REGISTRATION AND MAINTENANCE OF CERTAIN REAL PROPERTY BY MORTGAGEES; PROVIDING FOR PENALITIES AND ENFORCEMENT, AS WELL AS THE REGULATION, LIMITATION AND REDUCTION OF REGISTRABLE REAL RPOPERTY WITHIN THE BOROUGH; PROVIDING FOR SEVERABILITY, REPEALER, CODIFICATION, AND AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
4. REGISTRATION, NOTICE, AND OTHER CREDITOR REQUIREMENTS
(b) Within 10 days of filing a summons and complaint with the New Jersey Superior Court in an action to foreclose on a commercial and/or residential mortgage for a property located with the Borough of Bellmawr, the creditor shall notify the Borough Clerk, or his or her designee of the action.
5. FEES, VIOLATIONS AND PENALTIES
(b) Creditors required to notify the Borough and register a property as one in foreclosure shall be required to pay the following annual registration fee, per property, due at the time of registration of $500.00.
(c) If a property registered with the Borough's registration program as a property in foreclosure is vacant and abandoned at the time of registration, or becomes vacant and abandoned at any time during the pendency of the foreclosure proceeding, the credit shall pay an additional annual registration fee, per property, due at the time the determination that the property is vacant and abandoned is made, of $2,000.00.
The city of Erie, Pa. has enacted a property registration requirement within 10 days of foreclosure, within 180 days of vacancy, or immediately upon becoming real estate owned (REO). The program will require semi-annual registration accompanied by a fee of $300.00.
Property Registration Ordinance
CITY COUNCIL OF ERIE
COUNCIL FILE NO. 16,328
OFFICIAL ORDINANCE NO. 3-2023
An Ordinance requiring the registration and maintenance of vacant and foreclosure properties located in the City of Erie
Sec. 1.5. Registration of vacant and foreclosure properties.
A. Vacant property.
1. Each owner of any building or structure located on real property that has been vacant for more than 180 consecutive days shall register the property with the Office of Code Enforcement, or designee, on forms or website access provided by the City.
3. A nonrefundable registration fee in the amount of $300 shall accompany the registration form or website registration, and said amount shall be paid by the owner every six months thereafter until such time as the property is no longer subject to registration as set forth in Sec. 1.5A4. The registration fee shall not be prorated.
B. Foreclosure property.
1. Any lender who holds a mortgage or other security interest on real property located within the City shall perform an inspection of the property to determine vacancy or occupancy, upon the filing of a mortgage foreclosure action against the property. The lender shall, within 10 days of the inspection, register the property with the Office of Code Enforcement, or designee, on forms or website access provided by the City, and indicate whether the property is vacant or occupied. A separate registration is required for each foreclosure property, whether it is found to be vacant or occupied.
4. A nonrefundable registration fee in the amount of $300 per foreclosure property shall accompany the registration form or website registration, and said amount shall be paid by the lender every six months thereafter until such time as the property is no longer subject to registration as set forth in Sec. 1.5B7. The registration fee shall not be prorated.
6. This section shall also apply to properties where title to the property has been transferred to a lender under a deed in lieu of foreclosure or other such conveyance of title to a lender.
Safeguard Properties Vacant Property Registration Matrix
Get details on enacted property registration ordinances across the country in one place by accessing Safeguard's searchable database. Enter here.
Passaic, NJ The city of Passaic, N.J. has amended its property registration requirement to reflect a semi-annual fee of $500.00. Properties shall be registered within 10 days of foreclosure filing.
Bangor, ME The city of Bangor, Maine has amended its property registration ordinance to reflect renewal every six months. A fee of $500.00 will accompany initial registration and will double for each…