Sioux Falls, SD Amends Annual Property Registration FeeMarch 18, 2022
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
The city of Sioux Falls, S.D. has amended its property registration requirement within 30 days of vacancy. The program requires a registration fee that has increased from $200.00 to $1000.00 annually, or $2000.00 annually for properties located within historic districts. Fees shall increase by $1000.00 increments each subsequent year the building remains vacant.
Property Registration Ordinance
150.157 VACANT BUILDING REGISTRATION
(a) The owner shall register with the city not later than 30 days after any building in the city becomes a vacant building, as defined in this subchapter.
150.158 VACANT BUILDING FEES.
(a) The owner of a vacant building shall pay an annual fee of $1,000 for the period the building remains a vacant building. if the property is located in a historic district identified by the city of Sioux Falls, the owner shall pay an annual fee of $2,000 for the period the building remains a vacant building. Thereafter, if an property remains vacant, the subsequent annual fee shall increase by $1,000 increments each year.
The village of Farmingdale, N.Y., has enacted property registration requirements within 10 days of initial foreclosure filing. The program will be enforced by a third-party provider (ProChamps) and will include a $300.00 semi-annual registration fee.
Property Registration Ordinance
LOCAL LAW AMENDING CHAPTER 419 - PROPERTY MAINTENANCE, ADDING ARTICLE IV "REGISTRATION OF FORECLOSURE MORTGAGE PROPERTIES", ADDING SEC. 419-15 (C) AND AMENDING SEC. 419-21, PROVIDING FOR THE PURPOSE, INTENT AND APPLICABILITY OF A LOCAL LAW REQUIRING THE REGISTRATION AND MAINTENANCE OF CERTAIN REAL PROPERTY BY MORTGAGEES; PROVIDING FOR PENALTIES AND ENFORCEMENT, AS WELL AS THE REGULARTION, LIMITATION AND REDUCTION OF REGISTRABLE REAL PROPERTY WITHIN THE INCORPORATED VILLAGE OF FARMINGDALE
Sec. 419-28 Inspection and Registration of Real Property Under Foreclosure
(c) Within ten (10) days of the date any Mortgagee files a Foreclosure Action, the Mortgagee shall register the Real Property with the Village Registry, and, at the time of registration, indicate whether the property is Vacant, and if so shall designate in writing a Property Manager to inspect, maintain and secure the Real Property subject to the mortgage in Foreclosure with legally possible.
(e) At the time of initial registration each registrant shall pay a non-refundable Semi-Annual Registration fee of three hundred dollars ($300.00) for each Registrable Property. Subsequent non-refundable Semi-Annual Registrations of properties and fees in the amount of three hundred dollars ($300.00) are due within ten (10) days of the expiration of the previous registration.
Flat Rock, Michigan
The city of Flat Rock, Mich., has amended its property registration requirement within 90 days of vacancy for commercial structures and 28 days of vacancy for residential structures. The programs annual registration fee has increased to the following escalating fee schedule:
Initial Registration: $500.00
1st Renewal: $750.00
2nd Renewal: $900.00
ARTICLE IX. VACANT AND ABANDONED STRUCTURES
Sec. 18-402. Definitions.
A. Abandoned commercial, office or industrial structure means and includes:
1. Any single tenant building with has been unoccupied by a tenant for a period of ninety (90) consecutive days or which satisfies one of the supplementary conditions defined in Section 18-402 (F)(1) through (11); or
2. Any multi-tenant building which is more than fifty perfect (50%) unoccupied for a period of ninety (90) consecutive days or which satisfies one of the supplementary conditions defined in Section 18-402 (F)(1) through (11).
B. Abandoned residential structure means any building which has been used or was intended for use as a residential dwelling, in whole or in part, including an accessory building, which has become vacant or abandoned for a period of at least twenty-eight (28) consecutive days or which also meets at least one of the following conditions:
1. Is open to casual entry or trespass;
2. Is damaged by fire, flood, weather, or vandalism to an extent which prohibits safe human occupancy;
3. Is the site of loitering or vagrancy;
4. Demonstrates a lack of property maintenance and upkeep as evidenced by one or more violations of the Property Maintenance Code or State Construction Code;
5. Is under notice for being in violation of City ordinances;
6. Has been secured or boarded up for at least twenty-eight (28) days;
7. Has taxes in arrears to the City for a period of time exceeding three hundred sixty-five (365) days;
8. Has utilities disconnected or not in use;
9. Is under a condemnation notice or legal order to vacate;
10. Is structurally unsound;
11. Is a potential hazard or danger to persons.
CITY OF FLAT ROCK - 2550 Gibraltar Road, Flat Rock, MI 48134
VACANT PROPERTY REGISTRATION FORM - $500 for the first year of Vacancy. $750 for the second year and $900 for the third year.
Safeguard Properties Vacant Property Registration Matrix
Get details on enacted property registration ordinances across the country in one place by accessing Safeguard's searchable database. Enter here.
Santa Ana, CA The city of Santa Ana, Calif. has increased its annual property registration fee to $1276.00. Properties are still required to be registered within 30 days of vacancy.
Berlin, NJ The borough of Berlin, N.J. has amended its property registration requirement from bi-annual to annual renewal. Fees have also been amended to reflect the following escalated fee…